Hyper-V 2016 Tp5: Hyper-V Manager Console new features
Here are some important information and improvements Microsoft released for Hyper-V Manager in Tp5:
- Alternate credentials support. You can now use a different set of credentials in Hyper-V Manager when you connect to another Windows Server 2016 TP5 or Windows 10 remote host. You can also save these credentials to make it easier to log on again.
- Previous version management: the New Hyper-V Manager will allow you to manage versions manage computers running Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012/R2 and Windows 8.x client version.
- Updated management protocol – Hyper-V Manager has been updated to communicate with remote Hyper-V hosts using the WS-MAN protocol, which permits CredSSP, Kerberos or NTLM authentication. When you use CredSSP to connect to a remote Hyper-V host, you can do a live migration without enabling constrained delegation in Active Directory. The WS-MAN-based infrastructure also makes it easier to enable a host for remote management. WS-MAN connects over port 80, which is open by default.
- No more Integration services for Windows Virtual Machines. Updates to integration services for Windows guests are distributed through Windows Update. For service providers and hosting companies, this puts the control of applying updates into the hands of the tenants who own the virtual machines. Customers (tenants Administrators) can now update their Windows virtual machines with all updates, including the integration services, using a single method.
- Integration services for Linux and FreeBSD Virtual Machines. Hyper-V supports both emulated and Hyper-V-specific devices for Linux and FreeBSD virtual machines. Linux Integration Services (LIS) or FreeBSD Integration Services (BIS) , the collection of drivers that are required to run Hyper-V-specific devices, has been added to the Linux kernel and is updated for new releases, but Linux distributions based on older kernels may not have the latest enhancements or fixes. Microsoft provides a download containing installable LIS drivers for some Linux installations based on these older kernels.
Note: As some Linux distributions include versions of LIS, make sure you install the latest downloadable version of LIS, if applicable, for your installation.