> MS Support policy for SQL Server in a virtualization environment
MS Support policy for SQL Server in a virtualization environment
SQL Server 2005/ 2008 / 2008 R2 are supported in the following virtualization environments:
- Windows Server 2008 /R2 with Hyper-V
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 / R2
- Configurations that are validated through the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP), which includes VmWare and Citrix.
Note The SVVP solution must be running on hardware that is certified for Windows Server 2008 to be considered a valid SVVP configuration.
Restrictions and Limitations
- Guest Failover Clustering is supported for SQL Server 2005 / 2008 / 2008 R2 in a virtual machine provided all of the following requirements are met:
- The OS running in the virtual machine (the “Guest Operating System”) is Windows Server 2008 or higher
- The virtualization environment meets the requirements of Windows 2008 Failover Clustering, as documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- Virtualization Snapshots for Hyper-V or any virtualization vendor are not supported to use with SQL Server in a virtual machine. It is possible that you may not encounter any problems when using snapshots and SQL Server, but Microsoft will not provide technical support to SQL Server customers for a virtual machine that was restored from a snapshot.
Is Quick and Live Migration with Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V supported with SQL Server?
Yes, Live Migration is supported for SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, and SQL Server 2008 R2 when using Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V or Hyper-V Server 2008 R2.Quick Migration, which was introduced with Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V and Hyper-V Server 2008, is also supported for SQL Server 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 for Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V, Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V, Hyper-V Server 2008, and Hyper-V Server 2008 R2.
For more information : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956893