The addition of the Cloud has truly changed how we monitor in Microsoft solutions. In this whitepaper, Microsoft MVP Cameron Fuller tackles the elephant in the room and answers the question of the relevance of Operations Manager. Find out whether Operations Manager is still relevant in the world of the Cloud
As you probably are aware of, Windows 2016 Server TP2, comes with 2 installation options. You also probably have noticed as well that the graphical user interface (GUI) is no longer an option in a default install on the Technical Preview 2.NOt even Start Menu.
- Windows Server Technical Preview 2 option, will install the server with MinShell (Minimal Shell no GUI). Assuming that you will manage the host remotely you won’t need graphical interface at all and from a security point of view, it is the better option.
- Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools) option, will install the server again with MinShell, but includes Server Manager and the other GUI administration tools, although no desktop experience (traditional desktop), nor start menu.
To install Hyper-V role in the Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools) option, in the Server Manager console, click on Add roles and features and select Hyper-V.
To install Hyper-V role in the Windows Server Technical Preview 2 option :
in the command prompt, type:
PS: > Install–WindowsFeature Hyper-V
Note: If the installation fails due to “The source files could not be found” error, assuming the Windows Server Technical Preview 2 ISO image connected to the DVD drive (D:), type:
Simple as that!
Wireless network does not connect on Windows Server TP2 after enabling Wireless Services and installing Wireless Drivers
Add the Native WiFi Filter SERVICE in the properties of the wireless adapter
To be more specific:
- In the Network and Sharing Center, click on Change Adapter Settings and then on the network connections, select the Wireless Network, right click and select Properties.
2. In the Properties on the Wireless Adapter, click on Install
3. Select Service and click on Add
4. Select Native WiFi Filter and click on OK
5. Done. You will be able to connect to a WiFi connection now.
The public download for Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2 (TP2) is here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-technical-preview
Now it is your time to give your feedback to the Microsoft Product team and help them improve Windows Server 2016
- Virtualization: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295050-virtualization
- Clustering: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295074-clustering
- Storage: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295056-storage
- Networking: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295059-networking
- Nano Server: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295068-nano-server
- Linux Support: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295062-linux-support
- Windows Server in general: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback
What’s new in Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2: (Please note that this is pre-released software; features and functionality may differ in the final release, that’s why YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT)
Compute and Virtualization: Simplified upgrades, new installment options, and increased resilience, helping you ensure the stability of the infrastructure without limiting agility.
Networking: Continued investment to make networking as flexible and cost-effective as possible while ensuring high performance.
Storage: Expanding capabilities in software-defined storage with an emphasis on resilience, reduced cost, and increased control.
Security and Assurance: Protecting against today’s threats with a “zero-trust” approach to security that is rooted in the hardware.
Management: Ongoing advances to simplify server management and increase consistency in approach.
- PowerShell Desired State Configuration (DSC) for easier, consistent and faster deployment and updates.
- PowerShell Package Manager for unified package management and deployment
- Windows Management Framework 5.0 April Preview and DSC Resource Kit (available online simultaneously with TP2)
Although it is only simple actions (i.e such as restart, refresh, and view) you can use Virtual machine Manager 2012R2 to manage both on premises and Azure Virtual Machines, by adding Azure subscription to VMM.
Let’s hope the VMM team extend those tasks beyond that.
for more information on new features on VMM 2012 R2 UR6 check http://blogs.technet.com/b/scvmm/archive/2015/04/29/an-overview-of-the-new-features-in-vmm-2012-r2-update-rollup-6.aspx
Unified management through the VMM console
With VMM 2012 R2 UR6, Virtual Machine Manager offers a very simple way for a VMM Fabric administrator to add a Microsoft Azure subscription to VMM. After users have added the Microsoft Azure subscription to VMM, they can get a view of their Azure instances directly from the VMM console, and they can perform some simple actions on these instances.
Although in the long term Microsoft vision is to establish WAP as the console of choice for on-premises and Azure workload management, we still see this feature as a value-add to a large set of users who don’t yet use WAP or who don’t want to incur the overhead of WAP. This option of performing simple VM management tasks such as restart, refresh, and view on Azure VMs through VMM consoles gives Fabric administrators the flexibility to manage both on-premises and Azure public cloud VMs from within a single VMM management console
We’re heading for the big day. Come and join us. This will be a one day deep dive Azure sessions held on Saturday, 2nd May.
A conference for learning about Microsoft Azure right here in Brisbane. Saturday, 2nd May 2015 – 9:00am – 5:00pm
The location will be at Microsoft, 400 George Street, Level 28.
Event Organizers: Alessandro Cardoso, Daniel Toomey and Damien Berry
- Given the requirement to set up tables, we must limit the attendance to 50* persons. Therefore, if you RSVP and then find you are unable to attend, please change your RSVP so that another party will have the opportunity.
– Because this event is on a Saturday, lifts will be locked. Please arrive within the 30 minute window prior to start time so we can activate the lift for you. Latecomers will not be able to gain access.
Event Website: http://tinyurl.com/BrisbaneAzureBootcamp2015
Several key IT trends have been reshaping the industry, notably Cloud and Big Data. As business innovations drive the need for enhanced systems, the data that IT must track grows exponentially and creates significant challenges. Without the right tools for visualizing data, significant and valuable insights remain unknown. In fact, the utter volume of data prevents organizations from capturing, analysing and presenting information that is significant…
Click here to read the full version of this article.